905-934-8501 349 Niagara Street, St. Catharines, ON L2M 4V9

Special Education


J. Davies (PL)

T. Sniezek, SERT

About Special Education

Some students are identified as having complex learning needs that require particular accommodations in order for them to achieve success. If a student completes a formal assessment with results that indicate they meet one of the Ministry of Education’s definitions for exceptionality, they will go through an IPRC (Identification Review Placement Committee) meeting and be identified as an “exceptional student”. Other students may demonstrate learning concerns that are either not formally assessed or that an assessment yields results that do not meet one of the Ministry of Education’s definitions of an exceptionality. These students require accommodations, but will be identified as a “non-exceptional student”. Instructional, environmental and assessment accommodations will be summarized in an IEP (Individual Education Plan) to assist both groups of students achieve success in school.  It is the responsibility of the Special Education Resource Teacher (SERT) to assist IEP students in the following ways:

  • To develop an awareness of each student’s abilities and needs;
  • To review and implement the student’s Individual Educational Plan (IEP) each semester;
  • To provide teachers with a list of students on an IEP and access to their IEPs each semester;
  • To provide a copy of the IEP to students/parents/guardians each semester for review and input;
  • To assist teachers in implementing accommodations for students;
  • To be an advocate for students;
  • To be a school contact for parents;
  • To review each student yearly and if changes need to be made to their exceptionality, placement or program an IPRC meeting will be scheduled which parent/guardians/students are invited to attend or If the review indicates that no changes need to take place, then parents/guardians will be invited to dispense with an IPRC meeting for that year
  • To provide a safe, secure alternative learning environment for students to receive support with assignments, reading, writing, tests/exams, EQAO assessments;
  • To assist students with the transition to post-secondary education/work.

What Should I Do If My Child Is Experiencing Difficulties at School?

Begin with a phone call to the classroom teacher.  Teachers can assess your student’s progress and make adjustments to their program accordingly.  You may also speak to the SERT to ensure the accommodations in your son/daughter’s IEP are appropriate and to request additional assistance as needed.  If more intensive support is necessary, your child will be presented to the In-School Team and a plan of action will be implemented to provide the strategies required for them to achieve success. 

Special Education MSIP

All students at Laura Secord S.S. have a daily scheduled Multiple Subject Instructional Period as part of their timetable. Students requiring special education support may choose to have their MSIP period scheduled into either the Resource Room (102) with Ms. Clark and Ms. Jones or into Student Success (103) with Mrs. Davies. These MSIPs have smaller numbers and offer the supports that the students require. Close contact is maintained with subject teachers and parents are contacted as necessary.